[pp.int.general] Pirate Party UK Critism

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Sat Oct 3 13:47:59 CEST 2009

Chris,

I think I did try to make the situation plain, though I appreciate I
wrote a long email and perhaps the specific point was lost.  There can
be no 'official' manifesto decisions if we do not have a process to
make those decisions.  The process we establish, starting with the
policy working groups, will decide the party's official line on the
Obscene Publications Act.

Of course some people will emerge as leaders of camps and factions,
and they will express points of view that not everyone will agree
with.  I consider John to be an early example of one of those people.
We need to allow space for such people to express their points of view
without being denounced or castigated, even if they hold a minority
view.  So whilst we can disagree with John about how best to discuss
his opinions, we must all agree that John has a right to raise his
opinions.  I personally don't think that support for the Obscene
Publications Act should be enough to bar someone from participating in
PPUK, though that will get clarified as the machinery of decision
making starts to grind into action.  So right now, I do not know nor
would I care to predict what the official party line will end up
being.  Perhaps individuals who share your views will comprise the
majority.  Perhaps not.  So when you ask if the PPUK 'is planning' to
support the Act, you ask a question that is impossible for me to give
a full and satisfactory answer to.  PPUK isn't the kind of thing that
currently plans to support anything, though it is the kind of thing
that plans to plan to support things, if you catch my drift.

PPUK is its members, so I am currently no more entitled to speak on
their behalf than anyone else, especially as we lack the kind of
mechanisms really needed to listen to members and gather their views.
In fact, one of my major disagreements with some of the views
expressed on the forums is that people are stating that they speak on
behalf of the party, or of its members, or of the people, where I see
no justification for that claim.  I want to emphasize process because
process will deliver a fair and democratic way to agree the
manifesto.  A no-holds-barred shouting match over the internet won't
deliver a fair and democratic way to agree the manifesto, and is the
main reason why I think bitplane's criticisms are unwarranted.

In the meantime we need to live with some of the inconsistencies that
arise, such as the aspiration to run a party on democratic lines
whilst not dwelling on the obvious point that we could not have
written anything about policy on our home page, or handled a single
media interview, if we first needed to complete the democratic process
to reach a policy decision.  We must start the ball rolling
somewhere.  Some things can be taken as read, such as that we all want
to reform copyright and we all oppose creeping intrusion into our
private lives.  I urge you, if you want to get involved in the hard
work of policy formulation, not to content yourself with discussion
via the forum.  Forums are an unreliable way to pursue collective
decision-making.  You may make a post, but there is no guarantee over
who will read it.  Better to contact the chair of the relevant working
group, if you have not done so already, and engage personally with the
process set up by the chair.  Of course, there may be some debate
about which is the right working group, though I would assume that
Maven's freedom of speech group would be the uncontroversial choice
for deliberating party views on the Obscene Publications Act.  Find
that group here: http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/wiki/Freedom_of_Speech_Policy_Working_Group

I hope this clarifies everything.  It's flattering that you ask if I,
or anyone else 'in the know' can tell you what the official decision
is.  The truth is that we are hurriedly trying to fill the vacuum of
decision-making, whilst not succumbing to the temptation to pick the
quickest and easiest route when this is unlikely to be the fairest or
the most democratic.  That means nobody, currently, is in the know!
All we can know is that we're forming a party and working on the
fundamentals.  Fundamentals like party administration and process come
before the party's manifesto, although we all care more strongly for
the manifesto than for the dry topic of how to run a party.  All I can
ask is that people remain patient, or, better still, engage and
support the development of the party's processes.