[pp.int.general] Pirate Party UK Critism

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 01:41:30 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Eric Priezkalns
<eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:

> How I wish we had a similar system in the UK!  You civilized continentals
> are so much more refined than we brutish Brits.  Our situation is not nearly
> as bad as the US, but the need to manage a lot of money changes the whole
> dynamic of politics.

Those wondering what he means by that...
in 2002, the average campaign expenditure for an open house seat (one
that doesn't have someone seeking reelection) was $1.02Million for the
democrats, and 1.08M for republicans. Even the incumbent spent around
$800,000. The amount goes up every year, more so in a presidential
election year (every 4 years to house elections every 2 years).
Basically, the Us party would have to spend $1.5Million+ just to have
a chance at winning a House seat for 2 years, and that's after a state
party is formed, and the ballot for that state done.

It's a horrendous money pit.

Andrew