[pp.int.general] Some parting thoughts

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:52:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Stephane Bakhos <nuitari at pirateparty.ca> wrote:
> One of the problems we're having in PPCA is that there is no clear and
> succint argument to present as to why it is a good idea. Just saying that it
> is the pirate party so we do filesharing isn't cutting it with the broad
> public.
>
> The attention span of many people is laughable so we cannot launch into a
> detailed explanation of the privacy issues in enforcing the copyright laws
> or to let the CRIA do what it wants.
>
> A lot of times when wondering about the argument and discussing it in the
> PPI channel all I get is "We are pirate party so this is what we do", which
> of course sucks when dealing with the public.
>
> Another point that would be nice to have is the reason why the PPSE platform
> is against some form of levy/tax for filesharing

We are in favor of  filesharing between individuals if there is no
profit because of simple reasons (starting a list of them):

 * It is more costly to try to shut down all those pirates than the
money the industry is supposedly loosing with them, and even then the
filesharing is impossible to stop. (There was a recent arstechnica
article about this, look it up)

 * Those who pirate buy more music and other media than those who
don't so industry should try to be nice with their customers instead
of calling them pirates and trying to jail them. Which brinds us to
the next point..

 * Filesharing should be considered as a means of marketing. For
example, I saw Inglourious Bastards movie first at home, and I liked
it so much that I then saw it again in the cinema.

Some one else please continue the list, I have other things to do right now =)