[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Tue Oct 20 09:25:30 CEST 2009

Hi Reinier,

> The good news is that artists don't really need record companies anymore.
> Making recordings has become much cheaper due to the development of
> technology. And distribution has become much easier due to the Internet.

Well, record companies do some more work than just pressing the records...
Of course, if an artist has no need for pr and wants to organize his tours
all himself and has the needed connections to be played in heavy
rotations, than he does not need a record company anymore. The heavy
rotation is by the way optional. You can sell records without beeing
played in the radio. But it becomes some easier.

> PP might do the following:
> - look what musicians are representing what companies, and seek publicty
> (no
> flyers)
> - promote distributor-less distribution by explaining the viability of
> alternate business models

I a running since some more than a year
http://musik.klarmachen-zum-aendern.de/
The site was launched by pirate party and is now run by a separate
institution called Musikpiraten. I am collecting a broad range of artists,
projects and news there and I'd be glad if it could get some international
support. Of course, the fame would come in the first place to the
Musikpiraten (musikpirates) and not to the pirate party, but I think the
party does not end in itself and Musikpiraten is know as beeing pretty
closely linked to the party.

Christian