[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:14:27 CEST 2009

I can only disagree. Copyright laws are a good idea, they are needed to
protect creators. But not all copyright laws are a good idea. We want to
protect creators not because we just happen to like them, but because they
create cultural products that are a benefit to society. Copyright laws pay
the artists by giving them a temporary monopoly on their works, but we
should pay them what is fair, and not more. That's why that monopoly given
to the artist must have a deadline.

It is true that a given cultural product (for example a song or a book) can
be forgotten until 30 years later it's rescued. In PIRATA (Spanish PP) we
have discussed to give the absolute monopoly on their works to the artists
for a limited time, for example 20 years, and after that until they die
they'll only receive a small percentage of revenues when it's used for
profit.