[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Bernhard Schillo b.schillo at gmx.net
Thu Oct 22 14:30:05 CEST 2009

Richard Stallman schrieb:
>     To get back to your suggestion: I think, we would give artists who
>     oppose filesharing too much attention with protesting them. They are not
>     really important and in the most cases they wouldn't have success
>     without the monopoly industry behind them.
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> The musicians I am talking about are famous and influential.
> They have a big income due to public admiration.
> Protests at their concerts would make news, and would make an
> impact on them too.

What musicians you are talking about concretely? Okay, Metallica would
match that. Who else? Like i said before, in my opinion it would depend
on the individual case. There was a quite unknown singer/songwriterin in
the press in the last months cause of her statements on filesharing (i
don't remember her name). I had the impression, that she used this
discussion as a vehicle to get media attention. She is not only
singer/songwriterin but also actor. So the media coverage was good for
her, even if she ended her career as singer/songwriterin. It wouldn't be
a good idea to help such people to get media attention.

regards
bernhard schillo