[pp.int.general] Some parting thoughts

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Oct 23 15:12:00 CEST 2009

    > The term "compensation" is appropriate for paying someone to do a job,
    > That does not fit the situation of playing a copy of a published work.
    > Internet users do not owe any "compensation" to artists.

    You should acknowledge that artists often *initially* are poorly paid,
    because they are supposed to get more money the more often people listen to
    (or read) their works.

I think you've changed the subject.  The issue I am talking about is
not how much some artist gets paid, or how much s/he ought to get
paid.  I'm talking about the basic structure of the situation.

I would like to support artists better, and I propose several ways to
do it.  But that does not mean we owe them "compensation".  We must
reject that idea.