[pp.int.general] Regulation (Amelia Andersdotter)

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sat Oct 24 13:18:02 CEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 12:47 +0200, Amelia Andersdotter wrote:

>         However, Amelia most certainly meant regulation as in
>         "Providers must adhere strictly to net neutrality, in
>         particular they must not automatically or otherwise decide
>         anything based upon
>          the contents of communication between their users. They shall
>         also not look more deeply into packets then the IP header, and
>         even
>          then they may only take the technically absolutely necessary
>         decisions like routing."

> Yes!
>
> Just like that! When companies and/or wish to restrict user freedoms
> and rights (which they basically seem to be wanting) it's important
> for the legislator to say "hey, we, the democratically elected
> representatives of European citizens, must step in and make sure users
> actually benefit from the technological development."

You do know that deep packet inspection is already in use in some parts
of Europe - for selective censorship? [1], [2], [3], and [4].

As you can see, you will be met with outrage that you are failing to
"think of the children".

The curious thing is actually looking at the UK's Internet Watch
Foundation (IWF). Zero accountability to the public, ISPs must use their
blacklists while agreeing not to look at what they contain, and an
organisation which is not law enforcement looking at content which the
public have reported as 'under suspicion of being illegal'.

Has, or is, that definition of 'illegal', or as the IWF told us
'potentially illegal', changed? The UK was looking into introducing
hate-speech laws...

[1] http://enwn.net/8971
[2] http://enwn.net/e1aa
[3] http://enwn.net/984A