[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 24 19:19:52 CEST 2009

2009/10/24 Amelia Andersdotter <teirdes at gmail.com>:

> Independent thinktank ICTSD acknowledge that lack of tech transf is
> a problem when trying to combat climate change[8]. They don't however
> necessarily believe this is mostly because of patents[9]. It's good to
> understand though, that patents are seen "not as a big problem", but they're
> also not seen as facilitators of tech transf at all.

I suspect patents do slow down tech transfer, even if they aren't the
major factor.

European countries want the rest of the world to reduce carbon
emissions. Technology transfer can help them do so.If Europeans
continue to encumber technology with patents, they are harming their
objective of reducing emissions.

This argument is one we can use as further ammunition against the
patent system (and abuses of it).

> Why do Pirates care about this? Well. There is a huge consensus on climate
> change being a problem in the world. We're not saying we agree with that
> consensus, or even that we disagree, but we do have a solution that would
> help the people who do agree a lot in their work. And those people are
> consistently neglecting that one, obvious solution in favour of setting up
> _goals_ and _aims_. What's the use of a 30% reduction aim if you can't
> achieve it?

I think there's another way in which Pirates can gain electorally from
the climate issue. Our core competency is on internet and copmuting
policy, and the internet and computers are seen as high technology.
Therefore it ought to be easy ofr PP to gain an imiage of being
comfortable with, understanding, and in favour of technology, and able
to propose appropriate technological solutions to making everyone's
lives better. If Pirates can lead the way in proposing good-quality
technological solutions to reducing carbon emissions (and therefore to
reducing our reliance on fossil fuels from unstable parts of the
world) this will not do us any harm.

We might even be able to take votes from the greens on this. Green
parties are of course concerned about this issue, but the politicies
of some Green parties have a distinct anti-technological edge[1],
which turns off some voters. Pirate parties could pick up some of
those votes.

[1]: see for example
http://cabalamat.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/the-green-partys-science-policy/

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK