[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Mon Oct 26 16:03:53 CET 2009

Hi Brian,

Brian McNeil wrote:
> Related to music, and what music lovers should bear in mind, I have a
> good friend that had a 'fortunate' incident with his substantial
> collection of vinyl; his house was burgled and the whole lot stolen - 20
> + years worth of collecting records. He'd been thoughtful enough to
> explicitly get it listed on his home contents insurance, and managed to
> replace most of what he'd lost with CDs; he made the format-shift to
> digital at his insurance company's expense, but the rightsholder did
> still get paid twice for the same content.

But that would have also been the case, if he had bought vinyl again. And
I cannot see, why this should be wrong. He got a whole set of new media.
Also each "rightholder" of his other lost stuff will get money a second
time - if he chooses to buy his products again.

> The ways media companies want
> to serve up their 'product' online does not seem to give you much option
> to get it covered on your insurance - I wouldn't fancy negotiating with
> them to establish you've thousands of pounds invested in iTunes content,
> and they pay to replace it when something goes wrong; but, that's
> because I'd want a clear clause in there saying they'd pay out if Apple
> revoked the keys needed to access *my* content.

I think that would be just a case between apple and you.

> I'm sure someone
> particularly creative could come up with ways to tie that into Amazon's
> Kindle and their ability to remotely delete content. [A PP How-to on
> insuring your music collection? Insurance providers would be an
> interesting lot to have on your side because they're seeing a risk of
> paying out a lot when something goes wrong.]

Interesting idea. I cannot see any point, why digital goods should not be
subject to an insurance. I'll check my policies to see, what my insurance
company thinks about that. :)

Christian