[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

David Arcos david.arcos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:06:38 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
> wrote:

> David Arcos wrote:
> > Think in music/video tapes being exchanged from one friend to another,
> > that's the "private copy" concept.
>
> And that works only, if someone buys the original copy. As soon as to less
> people pay for it, it will not be produced any more. And what to copy
> then?

I don't understand that logic. (Using that reasoning, the radio should've
killed the music decades ago)

Currently the musicians get most of the money from concerts. Note that the
benefits of the CDs are shared with the editor company, so the artists get
<10% for each CD sold; while the money from the concerts goes directly to
the artists.
Most people I know don't like to pay for CDs, but they go for concerts as
much as they can.
The songs are produced to to be played in the concerts, and often used as
advertising, right?

So it's a circle: the musician releases the songs, people listens to the
songs (the artist gets famous) and goes to the concerts, so the musician
gets paid and can compose and release more songs.