[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Thu Oct 29 11:34:55 CET 2009

> To add to this, if you take major record companies out of the equation,
> who loses out?

Those 90% who buy the products of the majors who release 20% of the
records - at least in germany.

> Presumably the point of those companies is to be able to produce
> merchandise, including CDs, on a larger scale than an artist could by
> themselves, and to finance marketing campaigns for that music.

They are able to pay the productions costs for a cd.

> Tonight I'm going to see a guy called Frank Turner play in London. Had I
> not ('illegally') downloaded his music I would not be going, that's a
> plain fact, since I wouldn't have heard of him (unless I'd happened upon
> him on myspace, again free).

If he uploads it a MySpace, it is his choice. But why did you download it
illegaly? There are so many site in the net, where you can (pre)listen
music legally. Why don't you support those sites and those artists?

> The price of the ticket was more than the price of his CD. He gets larger
> proportion of the money from the ticket than he would from the album
> (though it was released on an independent label for what it's worth).

How many money does he receive from each ticket?

> If he had to choose between me buying the album or going to his gig,
> which would he choose? Logically, the gig - which I would not be going to
> but for the original download. He's playing Shepherds Bush Empire, a
> fairly large venue for an artist who isn't known for scaling the charts.
> He would be playing a smaller venue and making
> less money were it not for illegal downloads, I very much suspect.

So why don't you just let him keep sitting on his cds, if he does not want
to give you the music for free?

> If he then were to make enough money to be able to produce his own CDs,
> outside of a record label, for those who want them, he has proven the
> redundancy of record companies and the backwardness of the current
> recorded artist system. I'm just using him as an example as I'm seeing
> him tonight, but it's fairly sound logic to my mind.

Record companies do pretty more that just pressing records.