[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Thu Oct 29 12:10:13 CET 2009

> No hang on, your method of argument seems to be to attack people for
> making claims without evidence to back them up, then doing the same
> yourself, eg "Record companies do pretty more that just pressing
> records". They do that, as I said myself that you ignored with "They are
> able to pay the productions costs for a cd", and they also provide
> marketing and promotion, I've freely admitted that.

Yeah. But a sentense before you reducted them to pressing records. If I
misunderstood you: sorry.

> But if there's no need for marketing or promotion campaigns - how many
> can you think of that have been a success of late? - and music is
> distributed in a way other than via CD, what is the purpose of the record
> company? There's still a place for musicians, engineers, sound
> technicians, gig promoters etc, but record companies?

The replace "record company" with "music label". If an artists wants to
care himself to get a credit for releasing his first/next record: Why not.
If he wants to search a PR agency: Why not. If he wants to find a fair
deal for distributing his music: why not. If he wants to make deals with
tv/radio on himself: Why not.

If he want a label du all this stuff for him: why not.

> You've yet to put up a convincing reason for their continued existence,
> simply attacked people who say they're redundant. If you see a place for
> them in the digital future, explain to us what that place is.

See above: The take a lot of work from the artists shoulders, so he can
make art instead of beeing a music label.

christian