[pp.int.general] Mandelson wants crackdown on filesharing

Andrew Robinson a.robinson at pirateparty.org.uk
Thu Oct 29 13:58:56 CET 2009

2009/10/29 W Tovey <will.tovey at pp-international.net>:
> I guess PPUK needs to gain a bit more notoriety and then maybe we'll start
> getting invited to things like this as well... I can't speak for the
> leadership, but I had no idea this was even happening until I saw the BBC
> article on Mandelson's speech.

As we are a very new party that has never taken part in a UK election,
we are still treated as a fringe organisation, and we tend not to be
invited to these events. It's noticeable that the quality of event
invitations received are gradually improving, and we are indeed
working our way up to bigger events like this one. I recently spoke at
an event organised by PaidContent, where c&binet had a presence, so
next year we may well get this particular invite, particularly as it
will be after the election.

The BBC paid more attention to the story than most media outlets,
other journalists have told me it's just 'more of the same' as there
were no new announcements, apart from the very vague "I am announcing
today a Copyright Strategy to take us to the next stage". When the
strategy is actually published, then I expect that PPUK will be at the
centre of the media response.

- Andrew