[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:23:32 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> > The thing is I don't know any good reason why it should be mandatory to
> > pay
> > to download music, or movies, or books.
>
> Maybe, because if you do not pay, artists won't release cds anymore. :) I
> really love the additional value of having a cd with a nice booklet
> instead of just bytes on a drive.

Well, I have never bought a CD music album and I intend to keep it that way.
Though perhaps some day I'l buy an LP or two. And I'm sure artists will keep
releasin their albums somehow, because they need promotion: people won't go
to their concerts if they haven't listened to them before. And that's what
albums should be considered, I think: promotion for their concerts. Whether
you pay or that album or not is irrelevant, the relevant part is getting
people to live concerts, which is working now better than any other past
time, thanks to "piracy".

> >> I use this argument myself lot of times. But I think, that it is not
> >> only
> >> the missing gap. You were educated not to steal and you know, that there
> >> is a pretty good chance to get caught and punished.
> >>

> > When I learn someone's idea, am I stealing it? It's illegal to steal just
> > because of that gap. Copying is not stealing, it's another thing.
>
> Its more like riding a train without having bought a ticket...

Are you trying to say that a free download is a lost sell?