[pp.int.general] Mandelson wants crackdown on filesharing

Joonas Mäkinen joonasd6 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:56:42 CET 2009

Just wanted to express my amazement that they actually go with this even
when 70 percent of the population does not want it, the secret service does
not want it and the Internet service providers do not want it. Seriously,
how deaf are these people?

But I suppose a trial is better than a full launch. If it fails
spectacularly they might notice that it didn't change filesharing and that
it cost anstronomical amounts of money for nothing.

2009/10/29 Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com>

> Also, just a heads up on the legislation here. I contacted the BIS or
> BERR or whatever its called this week, and asked them about the
> published in the 3rd week of November, the same time as the new
> legislation would be introduced to parliament. I then asked them if
> they could push up the response publication, in order for some basic
> peer-review of the submissions, to weed out inaccurate, misleading or
> flat out wrong statements, so that any legislation would be based on
> fact, not submissions where the details are hidden (this is a complex
> subject, and one many of us still are not fully at 100% with - I'm not
> and I've been covering it in various forms for 10 years - they've got
> no chance with just a 6week review). Their response was that they
> would see, but can't promise, as the schedule is not very flexible.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Andrew Robinson
> <a.robinson at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:
> > 2009/10/29 W Tovey <will.tovey at pp-international.net>:
> >> I guess PPUK needs to gain a bit more notoriety and then maybe we'll
> start
> >> getting invited to things like this as well... I can't speak for the
> >> leadership, but I had no idea this was even happening until I saw the
> BBC
> >> article on Mandelson's speech.
> >
> > As we are a very new party that has never taken part in a UK election,
> > we are still treated as a fringe organisation, and we tend not to be
> > invited to these events. It's noticeable that the quality of event
> > invitations received are gradually improving, and we are indeed
> > working our way up to bigger events like this one. I recently spoke at
> > an event organised by PaidContent, where c&binet had a presence, so
> > next year we may well get this particular invite, particularly as it
> > will be after the election.
> >
> > The BBC paid more attention to the story than most media outlets,
> > other journalists have told me it's just 'more of the same' as there
> > were no new announcements, apart from the very vague "I am announcing
> > today a Copyright Strategy to take us to the next stage". When the
> > strategy is actually published, then I expect that PPUK will be at the
> > centre of the media response.
> >
> > - Andrew

Joonas "JoonasD6" Mäkinen
Varapuheenjohtaja, viceordförande