[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Fri Oct 30 06:58:22 CET 2009

Hi Richard,

Richard Stallman wrote:
>> And you really believe, that visiting a single concert can fully
>> compensate downloading the whole discography?
>
> The term "compensate" refers to making up for a loss that you caused.
> Also, by extension, it refers to pay people who do work for you (your
> employees and contractors).

If somebody says "instead of buying copies of music, I visit the
concerts", "compensate" is the right word, I tink.

> When people share copies, it does take anything away from anyone, so
> there is no loss.  Also, the artists are not doing work specifically
> for these people.  So there is no occasion to "compensate" anyone.

Technically not. But you use something without compensating the creator.
What would you say, if someone uses your code without releasing the new
software under GPL again? You have no loss in money, there ist just less
free code than if he had released it under GPL again.

Christian