[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Fri Oct 30 14:52:25 CET 2009

> You seem to be forgetting, copyright is not the same as a license.

I know, that there is a pretty difference between. Copyright is a right
granted by the state to a creator while licences have to be accepted by a
customer. (Just for the case, that you do not believe me ;)

> The copyright resides with the creator, and there is a convoluted chain
> of licenses between them and you. Where creation, production, and
> distribution are - or were - prohibitively expensive then the creator
> has little choice but to work with large commercial entities like record
> labels. The creator is instantly at a disadvantage when negotiating
> eventual license terms.

Yeah.

> What I see as the goal with the Pirate Party is to renegotiate the whole
> concept of copyright and *inherent licensing*. More specifically, to
> codify in law that release of any work has an assumed license for
> distribution on a non-commercial basis, for non-commercial use, by
> anyone who can afford to set up a distribution channel.

That's the utopia, I know. Every single peace someone creates is available
to the whole world, as soon as he releases it. A pretty nice vision!

But you want to change the law. You want to remove rights that have been
granted some times ago. I want to convince artists that they should
release their work. And it will be easier to convince them, if people
would buy their work instead of just breaking the law and copy stuff
illegal. In the long run, I am shure both ways will lead to utopia.

Christian