[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sat Oct 31 17:09:27 CET 2009

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> The point is, we should not accept "to pay the musicians" as justification for anything about what the music factories do
>
> Definitely agreed. I'd say it's bad to call them "music factories" too;
> that implies they manufacture music. Nowadays, I call them "an obsolete
> duplication industry".
>
> They don't create anything new; they merely create many duplications of
> other people's work. The Internet does that much more cost-efficiently
> and at exactly zero cost. Hence, the industry is obsolete.

If you reduce records labela to that simple issue, you are totally
right. Well, and you show, that you have no idea, what they do.

> This leaves the question of business models for composers, authors and
> performers. That, however, I must emphasize is NOT for a political
> party to solve. No politician in a market economy can take
> responsibility for somebody's living -- nor should we ever accept that
> responsibility

Erm. If it's not up to the politicians to create the rules for the
market, who's responsibility is it? If you predict "it is legal to copy
anything without paying any dime to anybody", its your respsonibility to
think about the results. What happens to the market, after you removed
this level of protection? Otherwise you are no better than other
politicians, who writes laws without knowing what they will cause.

Do we really want, that a copy of a creative work has no more economical
value? Is it allowed to make money selling copies of somebody elses
work? If we allow digital copies, what about physical ones?
Or do we allow only non commercial copies?

If we modify laws that protect a business case, we are in the
responsibility to offer alternative ways.

Christian