[pp.int.general] Protection for inventors

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:03:35 CEST 2009

I am one of those small inventors (or was, I've not had time, money or
equipment to design for a few years now); I even have a UK patent,
that I co-hold with my old business partner. However, Bayliss' ideas
are a bit potty. If you can't bring it to market, and can't afford
lawsuits, then the value of your patent is not millions, it's zero,
and when you consider the negative cost for society, it's actually a
negative worth. Restrictions on what can be patented is a much better
idea, on what, and when. I can't think of anything to replace the
patent system with, and without a suitable replacement, abolishing the
patent system will only benefit the people who can afford reverse
engineering, and economies of scale (large corporations) and
negatively affect those that will end up doing the inventing (the
home-inventor). After all, reverse engineering is a lot cheaper, and
you have the benefit of being second to market (after a small initial
market breaker) and thus there's marketing data from that. You can
also forget licensing designs, which is how my patent is being
produced right now.

Andrew