[pp.int.general] Telecoms package: Preparing for a 3rd reading

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:49:02 CEST 2009

I got to the conference almost 2 hours too late due to international trains
from NL to Brussels got canceled so I had to figure out howto get there with
the local slow trains so my report is somewhat limited. There were however a
lot of interesting presentations and debates with representatives on both
sides. Most of it can be watched as a stream, but the first hour was lost
due to a crash of the video server..
http://greens-efa-service.eu/live/telecom/

Thanks to bambuser you can watch the first hour here:

http://bambuser.com/channel/telecomix

The debate was strongly defending the due process before taking action
against a suspected copyright infringes as defined in article 138 and 166.
The BSA argument about free cooperation in regard to a voluntarily database
of suspected infringes where the ISP's can take action without due process
as per the US model did not fly. The discussions were generally along the
lines and concerns mentioned in Monica Horten's paper:

http://www.iptegrity.com/pdf/Telecoms%20package%20a%20licence%20to%20chill.m.horten.03.09.2009.pdf

- Nicolas