[pp.int.general] Greens saying Pirate Parties unnecessary

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Thu Sep 17 19:29:31 CEST 2009

On 17 Sep 2009, at 14:24, Jorge wrote:

> Hi folk
>>

>> Let us be honest.  If any of the Pirate parties tried to develop a
>> complete economic policy, it would be no better than that of the
>> Greens.
> How you know the future? Have you a christal ball?

No, but I have some history books.  History is full of stories of
people who thought they had lots of answers to important problems but
really lacked knowledge or experience and, when they got power and the
chance to change things, they made a terrible mess.  That just means
people should be humble and realistic about their abilities, including
the limits of their intelligence and of human intelligence in
general.  Wise rulers know their limits.  If you want somebody who
says similar things but more cleverly than me, I would point you
towards Karl Popper's 'The Open Society and Its Enemies'.  Popper
writes: "We must learn to do things as well as we can, and to look out
for our mistakes."

It is not a specific criticism of the Pirate Parties to suggest we
should stick to developing policies in areas where we are well-
informed and knowledgeable.  We are less likely to be right when
formulating policies for things where we have less knowledge and less
experience.  If we can recruit people who really know and understand
economics, that is great, but so far I cannot see the Pirates have a
special advantage in recruiting the best economists, compared to the
Greens or any other party.  But if we do recruit some really great
economists, the best place for them to start would be the economics
surrounding core issues like patent reform, and once they have
persuaded more and more economists to join the party and endorse their
point of view on those issues, then they can expand their scope to
cover other aspects of economics.  But that would lead to another
question about extending the goals of the party, so please let me
leave my answer there before I start a completely different debate.

<snip>

> In some issues, I think we can work with the greens (as well as with
> other parties, in a pragmatic view), but we are really very very
> different.

Agreed.  We are and should be open to other parties copying our
policies.  But even if another party precisely copies every policy, we
should still argue the Pirate Party is different and that voters
should vote Pirate.  They should still vote Pirate because of the way
we prioritize the issues and the radically different political
philosophy in having only a tight focus on particular goals.