[pp.int.general] Interesting material for campaigns

Daniel Löb daniel0loeb at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 27 11:15:28 CEST 2009

> Hacker criativity!
> http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/Wettbewerb:_Wahlplakat_zur_Bundestagswahl_2009
> Translation: *http://tiny.cc/hkr*
>
> We could use it for our campaigns!  We just need the original images
> and the separated texts in English.
For the original images there is either a link in the rightmost column
or you have to contact the User who created it in the column right to
the image.
Some of the texts can't be translated because they either use a German
historic reference or employ ambiguity to be witty. Also you should be
aware that these are all contestants that participated, meaning that
among them are also those that are either too polemic or suffer from
information overload. The contest winners can be found on:
http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/Bundestagswahl_2009/Wahlplakate_und_Flyer
Of those nine I will give you the texts with short explanations when
necessary:

1. Freedom is not a marginal note  ---> Exp: The word "freedom" is
imprinted on the margin of the German 2-Euro coin
2. Every one of you has an Änderhaken ---> Exp: The word Änderhaken is a
symbiosis of "Enterhaken" = grappling hook and "Ändern"=change
3.
4. Free access to information and education
5. No patents on plants and animals
6. Privacy of correspondence for emails  ---> IMO this one is a little
bit problematic since from any practical point of view pure email isn't
the equivalent of a letter but rather a postcard.
7. Modern politicians for modern times
8. Give (future) democracy a chance ---> That one is rather tricky. The
original text implies something along the lines that now is the time to
vote for somebody who is serious about democracy, because else you may
end up with a future that is not democratic any more.
9 Surveillance stinks

Here are also some of the texts for the better participants that did not
make it to the finals:

A8a. Guessing \Pi? ---> The words "guessing Pi" and "pirates" have
exactly identical pronunciations in German. Might also work in other
Germanic languages (not English obviously).
A12 Censorship is contagious. We fight for the right on freedom of
information.
A13 Banning games kills culture. We fight for the right on creativity.
A35 Against surveillance in the workplace ---> This was something of a
hot topic in Germany over the last year. Companies were using
surveillance technology and PIs to spy on their employees. Helps one to
get support from Unions.
A40 So, you have nothing to hide? ---> Subtext says: He has no choice,
but you do!
A42 Trust me... with all your personal information. ---> The pattern is
that of the German minister of the interior Wolfgang Schäuble. Insert
your own problematic politician here. The name subtext in the left lower
corner says "Federal data juggernaut" in allusion to his title "Federal
minister of the interior"
A85 Sports weapon ... Murder weapon ... Those who want to ban computer
games don't understand anything. ---> Might be problematic, since it is
well within the range of pirate opinions that ownership of weapons is
something worth protecting. Anyway, it's useful for places where
politicians demand a ban on violent computer games after a school shooting.
A94 Wasn't it great! ... When you still had the right to listen to good
music while driving. .... The copy for private use is legal. But you're
still standing with one leg in prison, should you use that right.
A99 ... better get broadband for every household. ... Broadband is not
yet available everywhere. Time to change that.
A142 Your politicians have not been updated for 4 years, WOULD YOU LIKE
TO UPDATE NOW?

Hope some of you out there can use them.

Best regards,
Daniel