[pp.int.general] Fight Softwarepatents in the U.S. NOW

Leo Wandersleb leo.wandersleb at gmx.de
Mon Sep 28 23:50:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm sending the following mail on behalf of Georg Jakob from FFII. Somehow I
can't find the mail I thought I had sent to this list yesterday.:

Hi friends,

First of all, let me congratulate the german Pirate Party for
their success at yesterday's elections! I think that for a party
having started more or less out of nowhere, anything above 1%
in the current situation can be considered a success - so be proud
of it and keep on going!

That said, we - the FFII - need help. In the U.S., the battle against
Softwarepatents is currently raging. The Supreme Court is going to
hear the Bilski case soon and will either allow all patents on software
or put sever limits to them. We have an amicus brief ready, but in
order to file it, we need an U.S. attorney admitted to the Supreme Court
who is willing to put his or her name on our letter. And time is an issue,
too: The deadline ends on October 2 (Friday), but since we must submit
our text to a printshop before, we need an attorney well before that,
i.e. ASAP.

Submitting our text together with somebody else (lieke EFF or FSF) is
not an option unfortunetely, since we have a tight word limit, and it's
already hard to stay within that.

If you know any lawyer from the U.S. who is admitted to the Supreme
Court is friendly to our cause and might be willing to help us out,
please let us (and him/her) know ASAP.

Thank you very much,

-- kindest regards, gjakob at ffii.org Georg Jakob http://www.ffii.org "The machine
was always able to do that. You just programmed it to do it!" --EPO examiner
during Amazon case, Dec 7 2007