[pp.int.general] Belgium proposes to ban burqas, and masks, and dark sunglasses

Marco Confalonieri marco.confalonieri at email.it
Thu Apr 1 09:42:08 CEST 2010

Richard Stallman ha scritto:
> Belgium is moving to ban people from covering their faces in public.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/31/belgium-public-ban-burqa-niqab
>
> While I feel little sympathy towards burqas, religious motives are not
> the only reason to hide one's face.  Protestors may not want the
> police to know who they are; this law will affect the political rights
> of everyone in Belgium.
>
> Beyond that, hiding one's face is the only way to be anonymous in a
> society filled with face recognition cameras.  The burqa, a detestable
> symbol of subjection, provides a convenient excuse to expose everyone
> to total surveillance.  Big Brother would love this law.
>
> Will dark sunglasses be illegal too?

In Italy masking for the purpose of hiding one's identity has been
outlawed since 1931. Law n.152 issued in1975 states that using any mean
to hide one's identity without reasonable ground it's forbidden. There
are special exceptions for Carnival, Halloween and other similar events.
Covering the face for one's religion is considered "reasonable ground"
and attempts by local administration to extend the law to burqas and
similar have been shut down by the italian state council. Also wearing a
full helmet is allowed while you're on a motorcycle or similar, but you
have to remove it when you park the motorcycle and are on your feet.
Dark sunglasses are allowed because they do not cover the full face.

Masking at public protests is expressly forbidden.

--
Marco Confalonieri
Associazione Partito Pirata (PP-IT)