[pp.int.general] trademarks

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sun Apr 11 11:43:03 CEST 2010

Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> Why? If I'd want to betray you, trademarks are the last thing, I'd be
>> afraid of.
>>
> If I go to a shop, I can be reasonably sure that they don't sell fakes
> to me of there is trademark protection. Without, the authorities would
> be unable to prevent fake ROLEXes being sold.

So you put your trust in the shop - not in the trademark.

On the other hand: Why do you buy a product from a certain brand? As you
explain, you have expactations related to a brand. But this expactions
are not guaranted. Your believe in them are based on the idea of
trademarks: A producer with a brand will not sell rubbish.

A more transparent way is, that you put your expectations in quality
marks. Let's take Rolex again: A long lifetime, very high quality
materials and production techniques, expensive materials. If all this
details are given, why not by something named "Rolex" that does not come
from a certain company? Or do you buy Rolex just because they are
expensive and you can impose your friends?

Trademarks are in many cases just used to pretend quality and impose
those, who cannot see quality and have to rely on a trademark.

Christian