[pp.int.general] trademarks

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Apr 11 13:36:53 CEST 2010

Let me get back to basics. In our society, there are no *fundamental*
problems with trademarks. So PP should not bother about abolishing
trademarks. Yes, you may devise endless philosophies. But to be honest, I
doubt their practical value.

Assuming you don't reject capitalism, you don't object that firms sell their
products. Selling on mass markets (which applies to most sonsumer products)
requires means for identification: names, symbols. If you start a firm
Hufgard Consultancy Services, you don't like someone else to piggyback on
your success calling himself Hufgard Consultancy Services too. And as a
client, I appreciate a government that prevents fake Hufgard Consultancy
Services to imitate the real firm - oir at least allows you, the founder and
owner, to take legal action against imitators.

Are you opposed against domain names? Yes, there is a "scarcity" in the
sense that a domain name once chosen can not be given to anyone else. Should
domain name sharing be facilitated? That is impossible, because it is an
identification.(apart from obvious solutions like cerating a.name.com next
to b.name.com) I live on number 149 in the street. Should my neighbour be
allowed to use that number too, becase he likes prime numbers, and there are
only a few three digit prime numbers (or for whatever reason)? No, I need a
unique number. else it does not work as an address.

I would suggest that PP concentrates on the *real* problems with trademarks
in today's society. Like parallel imports. Like the ban on reselling
products from outside the EU using trademarks (criminalising eBay users).
Like trademark owners curtailing freedom of speech of critics using
trademarks. Like litigation cost reduction. Like trademark trolls (they do
exist!). Like bad faith registration.

Should fake Rolexes be criminalised? I think there is a strong argument to
stay with the policy that was always observed: enforcement should be based
on *private* action. Police and even customs have other priorities. Only if
the enforcement cost is borne by the potential beneficiaries, economically
sound decisions will be made. Fake luxury goods typically cater for a
different market than the genuine products. If I am rich and foster a
wealthy life style, I don't buy a fake Louis Vuitton bag, with defective
zippers. Then I buy the real thing. personally, I would never buy a real
Rolex. Because I hate "real Rolex buyer" type of people.

And to give you (literally) more food for thought: how about origin
designations? Most of them are used by the French. And they are even
stronger than trademarks (by law). In live 20 km from Gouda. But since ages,
no Gouda cheese is produced anymore in Gouda. And NL did not apply for
protection of Gouda. Perhaps it is unforunate, because it could have made
this city rich.
But farly recently there was a conflct about Dutch "Bavaria" beer. Frankly,
I found that confsing as a cnsumer. But the Bavarian government lost the
case, because the brand is older than the regulation!

Isn't it nice that the poor people of the tiny republic of Tuvalu have
become very rich by selling .tv domain names? Domain name .nu (Niue) is also
popular. In Dutch and Swedish it means "now". In French it has a more
exciting meaning ...

reinier