[pp.int.general] Fake Rolex

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Apr 13 21:33:20 CEST 2010

    If I were to buy a  200 000 Steinway piano, I
    wouldn't be happy if it proved to have been built on some kind of an
    assembly line by cheap workers.

Perhaps as companies get bigger there should be increasing requirements
for them to give descriptions of the kind of quality that their brand
is supposed to stand for, and then they could be sued by purchasers if
they fail to stick to the descriptions.

    Or in
    France, these parents named Renaud who named their child Megan, and
    were consequently sued by the Renault carmaker because of the car
    already named "Mégane"...

Trademark law should apply only to commercial operations.
Since children are not commercial products, it should
not apply to them.