[pp.int.general] Fwd: [iindep-hub] ACTA - Written Declaration 12 - strategic update & signature collection

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov bogo at piratskapartia.bg
Sun Apr 18 15:18:02 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: La Quadrature du Net <jz at laquadrature.net>
Date: Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Subject: [iindep-hub] ACTA - Written Declaration 12 - strategic update &
signature collection
To: hub at iindep.org

Dear all,

As you know, the negotiating parties in ACTA announced they will publish
a consolidated version of the text on Wednesday. It is an extremely
important step, proving that the pressure we apply is useful. But it
could also be the dangerous sign that the negotiators managed to bridge
their positions in order to reach an agreement...

Waiting to see the text, and whether or not it differs from previous
leaks, the Written Declaration 12 is still running, and there is a
plenary session in Strasbourg from Monday Apr.19th to Thursday Apr.22nd.

As a recall, the main objective of WD12 is to address the two crucial
issues with the content of ACTA: right to a fair trial / liability of
the technical intermediaries (those two elements being now used in the
entertainment industrie's strategy for circumventing judicial process
for IPR infringement matters).

*** During the 4 days of plenary on Apr. 19th-22nd, Members of the
European Parliament will have an occasion to sign WD12 to set "red
lines" regarding these issues. ***

Below is listed how you can participate to achieve the objective of
having an absolute majority of MEPs to sign it.

If you look at the list of current signatories and statistics:
http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Written_Declaration_12/2010_signatories_list

you will notice that:

* We have 119 signatures now, after a slow start. If we keep the pace of
20 signatures a day per day of plenary session (the score we had during
the two half days of the previous mini-plenary, which is of less
importance than an average plenary week), with the 14 remaining days (3
plenary weeks + 1 mini-plenary), we can make it above 373.

* In absolute numbers the groups with more signatories are: S&D, Alde
and Greens. it means that we have to concentrate our efforts on getting
some EPP and maybe some ECR (British right) to sign. In countries with
upcoming elections (and others), the "level zero of politics" kind of
argument can be very efficient ("in your country the leading party
didn't sign, therefore you as an opposition should sign"). According to
latest infos, the Spanish S&D might sign as a whole. It means there is
little time to find Spanish MEPs from EPP to sign it before...

* On the chart of signatories per country
http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Written_Declaration_12/2010_signatories_list#Signatures_per_countries
You will notice that some countries are much better positioned than
others: Greece, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark. Those countries have very
concerned Members and/or activist groups. It means that the collection
of signature is proportional to how much we try / which key MEPs are
being active at convincing their colleagues.

* On the other hands some big, key countries are left behind: Germany,
Italy, UK, Spain (although it might change for Spain)... In these
countries maybe activists were very busy with their own, national
legislations, but we must find ways to activate there.

* Very often the MEPs sign when their delegation (portion of the group
from their country) took a decision. Therefore if you encounter an
opposition, it is good to try to identify the key people in the
delegation who might be blocking it.

Here is how to participate:

* You can also help without being in the Parliament by:

- - identifying MEPs from your country who didn't sign the WD12 and: 1/
sending them an email advising them to do so 2/ calling their
office to know what they thought of your email, and try to get an
answer and further convincing them.

- - improving the campaign page
http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Help_sign_the_Written_Declaration_12/2010_about_ACTA
http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Aidez_a_faire_signer_la_declaration_%C3%A9crite_12/2010_sur_ACTA
(and updating the translations)

for instance by updating information or adding in the FAQ open questions
left unanswered.

- - calling everyone around to participate to any of the above
mentioned efforts.

* If you happen to be able to come physically to the Parliament (we'll
be around 6-8 already), it will be useful to help distributing flyers
and talking with assistants and MEPs. This is the finishing touch in
getting their signature once they are convinced. There will also be a
way to help with the Gallo report at the same time...

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Please, do NOT forward mails or non-public information from this list.
iindep info hub - hub at iindep.org

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
Pirate Party Bulgaria
http://piratskapartia.bg

Blogger, FOSS and Mozilla advocate, Digital Rights Warrior.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/bogomep
Blog: http://mozgull.bogomil.info
CV: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bogomil
GPG: 0x03CCF750