[pp.int.general] Election Results

Patrick Maechler v/o Valio pirate at valio.ch
Mon Apr 19 15:31:09 CEST 2010

I really do hope that we can address that issue in PPI too.
I percieved that in a lot of countries the pirate movement has a very
high male quota* and that will create problems for sure. I attribute
that to the fact that a lot of pirate parties are currently in Europe,
are seen as "IT topic party" and in central Europe there is an idea that
IT is a male domain**.
I'm not saying pirate parties have to put a gender equality section in
their party program***, but it would certainly counter-productive _not_
to address these issues at all; and if it's only for the "economic
reason" to attract more voters****.

-pat

* (not all!)
**  (like a lot of gender ideas this is completely a society construct;
just take a look at the former DDR or Taiwan)
*** (even 'though I'd personally would be in favor of it)
**** (I usually dislike to limit myself to that kind of reasoning, but
it's likely to be common ground and right now I don't have the resources
to put a lot of effort on establishing a meaningful discourse about
gender on this list)