[pp.int.general] Statutes of Pirate Parties International

Thomas Burke mrthomasjburke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 11:52:58 CEST 2010

Amendment 1: Page 1; II (1)(c), replace "unify" with "support".

I dont particularly see a problem with the sentence as is. PPI is
meant as a unifying force that supports the movement so would it not
be better to simply add " and support" rather than replace one with
the other?

Amendment 2: Page 1; II (2), replace "shall" with "may".

I support this minor amendment.

Amendment 3: Page 2; III (1), replace "do" with "may".

I support this minor amendment.

Amendment 4: Page 2; IV (1)(a), remove "and the goals of the association
as laid down by these statutes".

I support this amendment. Anyone wishing to adhere to the statutes
must invariably agree to adhere to the goals as laid down by those
statutes thereby making that part slightly redundant.

Amendment 5: Page 6; XI (2), remove ", the determination of the annual
affiliation fee (section XVI, paragraph 1)". Page 6; XI, remove
subsection (5). Page 10; XV (1), remove sub-subsection (a). Page 10;
remove section XVI.

I support this amendment.

Amendment 6: Page 8; XIII, remove subsection (3) (and renumber
subsequent subsections).

I support this amendment.

I only mentioned my thoughts on 2 of them really but we can all see
the inherent benefits of the rest for members. Of course like Will Im
only speaking for myself here and not the PPIE but they do seem to go
at least a bit of the way to making it more attractive to PPs that
havent signed I think.

- Thomas

On 20 April 2010 02:38, W Tovey <will.tovey at pp-international.net> wrote:
> In that case, a few recommended amendments from me. Designed to clear up
> a few of the issues with it. These are personal suggestions and don't
> represent the views of PPI or PPUK.
>
> Amendment 1: Page 1; II (1)(c), replace "unify" with "support".
>
> Amendment 2: Page 1; II (2), replace "shall" with "may".
>
> Amendment 3: Page 2; III (1), replace "do" with "may".
>
> Amendment 4: Page 2; IV (1)(a), remove "and the goals of the association
> as laid down by these statutes".
>
> Amendment 5: Page 6; XI (2), remove ", the determination of the annual
> affiliation fee (section XVI, paragraph 1)". Page 6; XI, remove
> subsection (5). Page 10; XV (1), remove sub-subsection (a). Page 10;
> remove section XVI.
>
> Amendment 6: Page 8; XIII, remove subsection (3) (and renumber
> subsequent subsections).
>
> These should make most people quite a bit happier with the Statutes and
> should answer most of the concerns raised. They are all of different
> importance and have different effects and I can explain any in more
> detail if people would like. Adopting some might lessen the need to
> adopt others (mainly with amendments 1 and 4). I would be grateful if
> any member could look through these and propose any they might agree
> with (and feel would improve the Statutes). In particular, I hope these
> would be supported by any delegates from Piratpartiet, Partia Piratow
> and any others who had reservations with the current Statutes.
>
> I apologise for not spotting these over the weekend as we were going
> through the document, if I had done so, we might all be in a slightly
> better situation now. However, 6 amendments in a 12-page document isn't
> that bad.
>
> -Will
>
> P.S. Please be very careful when translating to make sure that the
> meaning is translated not just the words. I know this should be done
> always, but in a document like this, getting the exact meaning right is
> crucial.
>

> On 19/04/2010 23:10, Jerry Weyer wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Just one addition: even if it says only members can propose amendments to
>> the Assembly, this does not preclude everyone else to propose modifications
>> now or later. The proposed modifications can be supported by a Party member
>> which will then formally propose it to the Assembly. This might be a first
>> paragraph to amend to make this more clear ;)
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Jerry

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.