[pp.int.general] Tomas Pogge in Argentina and the war between Clarin Group and the government

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 05:03:57 CEST 2010

On 30 August 2010 03:56, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    But  if you want to buy newsprint now Clarin and La Nación may not
>    want to sell to you, so you have to import....and this happened on
>    several occasions..
>
> The solution to this is to forcibly break up that monopoly
> and forbid any merger between newspapers and paper companies.

Word. (expropriate!)

On the other hand, this is what they're trying to do now via the
FiberTel affair? (indirect punishment)

It seems weird (to me) that Argentinian competition law does not
prohibit refusal of sales to competitors if the abusive company is the
only provider on the market. European competition law has, for
instance, been accused of weakening patents too much (!!!) by removing
the ability for patent holders not to license use of their products to
competitors (they can still make the licenses pricey though :P).

/a