[pp.int.general] French Minister calling to "put an end to Wikileaks hosting in France",

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Fri Dec 3 18:42:39 CET 2010

French Pirate Party has written an open letter to Eric Besson about
Wikileaks, you can read it here : http://ppfr.it/pplettrebesson
(all links in French, I tried to translate as best as I could...)

A summary of what happened today :

0) Wikileaks is now (at least partly) hosted by Ovh, a French company.

1) Eric Besson, our Minister of Industry, Energy and digital Economy,
has called to put an end to Wikileaks hosting in France : http://ppfr.it/afp

Eric Besson has written that we "cannot  host Internet sites called
criminal and rejected by other States because of the damage they do to
their fundamental rights". He also wants that "in a second time" the
actors of the Wikileaks hosting in France are put "behind their
responsibilities" : http://ppfr.it/bessonwikileaks

2) Ovh have resisted to political pressure and claimed that their job is
to host the sites of their clients, and that is all. The law is
protecting them and tells only a judge can ask a hosting service to cut
down a site : http://ppfr.it/ovhwikileaks

Their words : "This is not to political world or to Ovh to ask to or to
decide to close a site, it is to the justice. This is how it works in a
state of right."

3) Under growing pressure, Ovh have asked a judge to tell them whether
they have to stop hosting Wikileaks or not, and will follow his decision.

The judge cannot state definitely that Wikileaks is illegal, but he can
tell Wikileaks' cablegate "may" be illegal, and Ovh will have to stop
hosting it...

But if he says it is not illegal, Wikileaks will likely keep his new
hosting service longer than Amazon...

4) We have written an open letter to Eric Besson to basically remind him
the separation of powers, the fact that he did not even know why hosting
Wikileaks would be illegal, the fact that French "LCEN" law protects
hosting providers unless the justice asks them to stop hosting a site.

We also call Octave Klaba, founder of Ovh, to resist to pressures, and
congratulate him for having asked for justice instead of doing like
Amazon Web Services.

(You can find at the end a few links to Wikileaks website or lists of
domain names that redirect to it.)