[pp.int.general] French Minister calling to "put an end to Wikileaks hosting in France",

Paul Da Silva pdasilva at partipirate.org
Sat Dec 4 13:20:02 CET 2010

As you said there are two separate issues : does the government has the
right to choose, all alone, to censor a website (and the answer is no of
course) and should wikileaks be censored (on this part i completly agree
with you).

Our reaction was more on the first point I mentioned and OVH, the hosting
company we're talking about here, just asked the justice to decide (as it
should have been done from the begining). In the next hours / days we will
know if french justice considers wikileaks legal or not.

If it is legal, then we won a battle. If it is not we will have to react and
protest against it...

But we thought emergency was to point out the fact what asked this minister
is illegal by itself as he has no right to ask for it !

2010/12/3 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>

> There are two separate and important issues here:
> is Wikileaks legal, and is it right.
>
> If those who host Wikileaks are perceived as defending Wikileaks
> through legal technicalities alone, people will call them "loopholes",
> and there will be pressure for those "loopholes" to be closed.
>
> We need to defend Wikileaks by saying it is heroic defense of human
> rights, and argue that it _should_ be legal.  Thus, if it _is_ legal,
> that is not a loophole, it is justice.
>
> --
> Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation