[pp.int.general] PPCH behind wikileaks.ch - gj

Pascal Gloor pascal.gloor at partipirate.ch
Sun Dec 5 23:57:22 CET 2010

Hello Rick and all other fellow Pirates!!

> Hat off to you guys -- this is activism in practice. Good job. I love it
> when given an opportunity to show that we put our money where our mouth
> is, and I have the utmost respect for others who do the same.

Thank you Rick!

Its really the first moment I have since friday morning to answer this thread. I have told this story over and over to journalists so you might have already heard it (but they always do mistakes so I'll tell it here).

In june 2010, a swiss pirate, owner of the wikileaks.ch domain asked us (the board) if we would like to get the domain to show our support to WikiLeaks. We agreed, transferred the domain to the party, redirected the domain to the wikileaks.org site and sent an email to WikiLeaks to inform them of our support and domain redirection.

Friday morning, WikiLeaks noticed their .org domain was cut off by everyDNS (NOT easyDNS!!!) and somehow they remembered that this wikileaks.ch was around and working. So they twittered it!

7 minutes later, I had a call from the Associated Press in Geneva asking me WTH was going on and I was like huh???. At this point and until now, we have probably (I quickly stopped counting) answered to over 50-60 media interviews, TV, radio, newspapers and press agencies.

As this was all not planned we were using everyDNS as dns hosters for wikileaks.ch. Still, it took them 9 hours to figure it out and cut it off. We fixed it within hours.

The DNS is now stable, we have 14 name servers from all around the europe and we DO have easyDNS as secondary. They wanted to help us due to the whole confusion between everyDNS and easyDNS.

We currently round-robin the website at Bahnhof in Sweden and OVH in France. We will be adding some additional 'official' mirrors soon. (you might have seen that WikiLeaks started to mirror and they have ~80 mirror sites under their control now!).

Have a nice week!

---

Pascal Gloor
Vice President of the Pirate Party Switzerland

PS for Rick: Our short name is PPS in all 4 national languages and in english too, no offense, just saying ;)