[pp.int.general] Iceland to become a model for freedom of communication

Jorge jorge at pirataria.org
Mon Feb 15 16:48:08 CET 2010

Very good proposal! http://immi.is/?l=en&p=vision

Jorge
PP Brazil

===
Iceland to become a model for freedom of communication
Submitted on 15 February 2010
In General Press Release

Paris, February 15th, 2009 - Tuesday, a parliamentarian resolution will
be submitted in Iceland in order to turn the country into a model for
freedom of expression on the Internet. Far away from the conservative
vision displayed by many confused governments who try to control freedom
of communication on the Net through "three strikes", Internet blocking
and filtering or the ACTA, this would be a historic event. La Quadrature
du Net supports this project and congratulates the coalition of
Icelandic Parliamentarians at the origin of the initiative. If
repressive and authoritarian schemes were to prevail in our societies,
Iceland would represent the ultimate refuge for the free circulation of
information.

This parliamentarian resolution nicknamed "Icelandic Modern Media
Initiative"1 aims to initiate a legislative process in order to
guarantee by law the freedom of expression and communication on the
Internet. Source and whistleblower protections, libel law, "mere
conduit" principle2 : this project would compile the best existing laws
from across the world in order to provide the best protection to
journalists and citizens against attempts to undermine freedom of
communication through legal pressure. Thanks to this initiative, this
country devastated by the financial crisis would make the choice of an
original model of socio-economic development, based on the access to
information rather than its control.

"This Icelandic legislative project is a major breakthrough. Refusing
repressive conservatism and the temptation of big corporations and
politicians to control the Internet, Iceland would become a haven for
freedoms on the Internet. We must support this initiative so that
freedom of expression, which is essential to the good functioning of our
democracies, is fully protected on the Internet. With laws such as the
French HADOPI and LOPPSI or the ACTA, we might all end up hosting and
sending our data through Iceland.", states Jérémie Zimmermann,
spokesperson for La Quadrature du Net.

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/iceland-to-become-a-model-for-freedom-of-communication