[pp.int.general] US Pirate Party and Andrew Norton

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 16:29:58 CET 2010

On 1/3/2010 10:15 AM, David Arcos wrote:
> From the blog:
> http://pirate-party.us/content/party-unity
>
>          To give you a quick briefing, this individual was sentenced to
>     24 months in prison for hacking, and upon gaining probation, began
>     supporting the PPUS by helping with web security. Under his
>     probation, he was not to enter into any anarchist groups, attempt
>     any hacking, nor associate with any of his hacking contacts.
>          *With a thumbs up from the PPUS, this individual ran security
>     flaw checks for the Party, and reported his findings to the
>     administrators in the IRC.*
>          Mr. Norton, also known as K`Tetch in the IRC, subsequently took
>     the IRC logs to the volunteer's probation officer, with the intent
>     to have him either get into trouble for legally hacking into the
>     PPUS, or to have him sent back to prison.
>

> (the bold is mine)
>
> Is that true? Did he had permissions to do the security checks?

Not from me. If he got it from anyone, he got it after the fact, from
Ryan, who wasn't officially instilled as administrator until almost 2
weeks later. Plus the service contract was between myself, and
ballotbin, rather than for PPUS, so ppus, had it been authrorised by
Glenn (at the time the party administrator) he still would have been
acting illegally.

There is also no need to modify or alter an account/election I am
running to 'check'. That he did so, and admits it openly, shows that it
was motivated less by 'security' and more by 'personal motivation'.
Jeremy's dislike of me has been clear for years, although I'm not sure why.

I categorically state, under penalty of perjury, as well, that the
following statement, starting "Mr Norton" is false in all accounts. I
can do this safe in the knowledge that I did not do the actions claimed,
which said probation office could easily confirm.

As I said further down, Jake was mislead by either Ryan or Jeremy, I
don't know who, but it's not his fault - he was posting on the best
information he had at the time. That it subsequently turned out to
mostly be false is no fault of his.

Also, to bring up another point, even his first sentence in his initial
post is a lie.
http://lists.pirateweb.net/pipermail/pp.international.general/2009-June/003529.html
clearly shows that it is NOT his first post to the list - there may be
others, but that's the first one I found.

Andrew

> [...]
>> vulnerability was communicated to the company via email in which the
>> company thanked the person who discovered the vulnerability for
>> finding and reporting it. After the election results were in and the
>> election closed, there was a  demonstration of the vulnerability in
>> which the candidate "Eugene Debs" was humorously added to the ballot.
>
>> A little while later it was discovered that one Andrew Norton took it
>> upon himself to notify law enforcement of the supposed illegal hacking
>> of ballotbin.com <http://ballotbin.com>'s server. Andrew Norton of
> course is not a lawyer, a
>> computer security expert, or a representative of ballotbin.com
> <http://ballotbin.com>. When
>> asked why he would take it upon himself to snitch out another
>> associated pirate party fella to the authorities for simply
>> investigating the security of an election system, he commended "best
>> buy some astroglide".
>
>> Read the logs of Andrew Norton confirming that he had reported the
>> incident to the authorities: (full logs @
>> http://andrewnorton.pastebin.com/m72e92319 )
>
>> ""K`Tetch> Speaking of, I sent an email, the other day, to the parole
>> offices in Chicago. Goign to file a report for that little mess about
>> you did with the election form.
>> <K`Tetch> best buy some astroglide, tylerknowsthis
>> <K`Tetch> that a fucking moron that has no brain, and just wants to
>> destroy everything is going to prison for being an arsehole, yes, I
>> can sleep soundly"
>
>> I am reminded of the various vulnerabilities found in Diebold election
>> systems years ago. The people who reported these vulnerabilities were
>> highly regarded by members of our community as fighting for democracy
>> and exposing corruption. BallotBin.com which ran the party's election
>> thanked us for reporting the vulnerability.
>
>> So what's up with Andrew Norton snitching out other members of the
>> pirate party community ? When asked, he replied something about the
>> duty to uphold law and order (what is he a cop?)
>
>> How far will that logic go? What happens if someone starts trading
>> URLs to various torrents on pirate party IRC channels? Will Andrew
>> start reporting people for copyright infringement?
>

>> The whole situation is very disturbing and gives me absolutely no hope
>> for the US Pirate Party. Although I support Ryan Martin as
>> administrator for the party, and I like his ideas, writings and
>> contributions to the project, there is a very bizarre right-wing
>> reactionary element to some of the people involved with the project
>> that sickens me. I do not see the US Pirate Party as being a vehicle
>> for bringing about any sort of institutional or systematic change that
>> is necessary, nor do I see it's political analysis being relevant to
>> people who are struggling in this country. I am in the process of
>> writing an article critiquing the US Pirate Party over the past few
>> years and am open to comments from the international community.

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net
<mailto:pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net>