[pp.int.general] Looking for a Declaration of Internet rights?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Jan 10 17:03:14 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 16:25 +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2010/1/10 Félix Robles <redeadlink at gmail.com>:
> > When I read about the French initiative, I thought the same. It's not that
> > I'm against a Declaration of Internet Rights, I have nothing against it,
> > it's just that we the people should have the same rights inside internet
> > than outside internet. As you say, many governments  (and companies) violate
> > todays recognised human rights.
>
> I certainly agree with you. However, as "hadopi" and the 138 amendment showed,
> 1 - violating human rights is easier on the Internet, cheaper and
> often at much larger scale (since it's not as shockingly visible as
> human rights violations in real life)
> 2 - the 138 amendment affaid somehow showed that reminding the
> governments of the basic democratic principles sometimes is not enough
> when it comes to the Internet.
>
> Therefore, a "new" declaration of Internet rights is really not new at
> all, it is merely the translation/actualization of universal
> principles/values to the IT-driven society.

For what I consider one of the prime examples most people on this list
would understand, look for Wikileaks' publication of the Finnish
blacklist.

There's a sorry tale to that, with mirror after mirror of a list
documenting their governments' decisionmaking on what the public can
view being added to said blacklist.

It's stupid; TOR plugins are trivially easy to add to most browsers.
Dissidents in countries with less-than-stellar human rights records (eg
China, Iran) rely on this.

Such tools are not illegal in most Western countries - but do you go on
a special watchlist just for using them? It started with the knee-jerk
"think of the children"; now my rights to safely and anonymously see
what these 'Jihadis' we're supposedly fighting the "War on Terror"
against actually say. I'll probably conclude they're nutjobs - but I've
every right to make up my own mind about that.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position