[pp.int.general] Looking for a Declaration of Internet rights? Here goes.

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Mon Jan 11 10:47:50 CET 2010

----- "Valentin Villenave" <v.villenave at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Jens-Wolfhard Schicke
> <drahflow at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Article 6: "No one shall impose the usage or possession of a
> particular digital technology, either in hardware or software."
> > Actually, providers do that all the time. If I speak FidoNet
> protocol (http://www.ftsc.org/docs/fts-0001.016)
> > directly to my _Internet_ provider, I doubt I will receive much
> success. :/
>
> That doesn't mean we can't try :)

If the word means the same in English and in French, I think the wording "No one shall ARBITRARILY impose the usage or possession of a
 particular digital technology" could be interesting. Providers impose some technological choices but for technological reasons. I believe there should be a provision for that. After all, requiring that all ISPs implement RFC2549 is a bit of an extreme position ;-)
Isn't it fair that ISPs break standards in order to prevent "smurf attacks" ? Does a provider impose a technology when there is competition amongst providers ?

I think we must accept that fundamental rights, (like human rights) are guidelines that require good faith from the participants and are open to interpretation. They are subject to interpretation. After all, the first article of the human rights declaration talks about "the spirit of brotherhood" that humans must have toward each other without defining it and article 3 states that "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person." without clearly defining those terms.

I think the Pirate Party has to have a detailed position on each particular issue but the guidelines must remain simple and short.

My 2 cents...

Yves