[pp.int.general] Democracy in PPI

Steffen Ortmann steffen.ortmann at pp-international.net
Sun Jan 17 20:31:49 CET 2010

Most answers were already given by Will and Patrick.

2010/1/17 Eric Priezkalns <eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk>:
>There's nothing
> wrong with PPI having its own channels, but if there is a requirement to
> communicate using PPI channels, it places the burden on the national parties
> rather than on the PPI, even though PPI is meant to support the national
> parties and not the other way around.

What would be better? If each PP would appoint one person (or more)
responsible for international coordination or if PPI would assign one
person for each PP?

> but it is likely that the UK's national
> elections will be held in April.  We will not know for sure until the
> election is called.

So there is no point in moving the conference date now, since we
don't know if it will interfere with the election?

> It would be wrong to send two senior
> representatives of the party

Two guys, even senior representative, missing for two days
will not make a difference in the votes that you could measure,
believe me.

> My third observation is that it is not necessary to organize a meeting in
> order to make decisions and reflect the views of national parties.  It is
> also peculiarly old-fashioned for a movement born on the internet.

In my experience person2person meetings are still the best way to avoid
misunderstandings and to establish friendships. Virtual meetings always
work better if a previous one happened in RL.

>  The  inevitable result is that PPI will be biased towards the European parties
> that find it easiest to send people who can attend in person.  As the
> purpose of PPI is seemingly to support the development of parties worldwide,
> I find this to be a very serious problem with how PPI is managed.  Europe is
> not the centre of the world.

At the moment I cannot think of a place better suited outside of Europe.
I do hope that that will change when PPs outside of Europe get stronger
and gain influence on the pirate movement.

> If it is, call it the PP Europe and at least
> make it clear that the organization has a more limited scope.

Would you like to have a PP Europe? So far I have not heard from
a lot of people that they want such a thing but in my opinion it
would be an interesting thing to have (if it would not drain ressources
form PPI).

>  I have no desire to offend Luxembourgers, but I hope they
> would agree there is something unbalanced about a system where they have an
> equal influence to the representatives from Germany.

I am a member of PP-DE and I do not feel disadvantaged. Important
decisions need to be discussed among the PP-Leaders. That's what the
conference will be for. Also, I'm sure the big PPs will find a way to
have enough influence.

>  However, if there are many other people who feel like me, then
> the PPI is in danger of becoming disconnected from some of the parties it is
> supposed to assist.

Everybody is welcome to make sure PPI doesn't loose connection to any
Pirate Party.

> I politely ask that the PPI's current core team reviews these comments.  In
> the spirit of really working together for common goals, I ask you to come
> back with constructive proposals for how the PPI can be fairly governed by,
> and connected to, all of the national Pirate Parties around the world,
> without exception.

I hope my answers were satisfactory.

--
regards,