[pp.int.general] The EU to enforce digital privacy againt facebook/linkedIn/etc.?

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 22:55:59 CET 2010

Greetings everyone,

I've just stumbled upon an article about this recent statement from
Reding (her way to celebrate Privacy Day?):

http://ur1.ca/l3tw

"""
In a statement, Reding warned of the uncertainty -- both for consumers
and businesses -- that will come as technology falls out of sync with
the EU's legal framework.
"EU rules are there to protect everyone's personal data," Reding said.
"EU rules should allow everyone to realize their right to know when
their personal data can be lawfully processed, in any area of life,
whether boarding a plane, opening a bank account or surfing the
Internet, and to say no to it whenever they want."
Reding's announcement comes at a time of heightened awareness over
Internet privacy matters among officials and lawmakers in several
countries, including the United States.
"

I don't know what to think about this (except that promises are cheap
to make), so I thought I might ask wiser Pirates than me about their
opinion :-)

Cheers,
Valentin