[pp.int.general] PPSE to run TPB from within the Swedish parliament

Mårten Fjällström marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se
Thu Jul 8 13:34:43 CEST 2010

Yves Quemener wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 10:21 PM, Glenn Kerbein wrote:
>>   This only behooves TPB's administrators - they are
>> exploiting indemnity clauses within Sweden's constitution. There are no
>> obvious altruistic factors coming into play here. It is doubtful that
>> Piratpartiet has any goals, reasoning, or platforms slanted towards
>> social progress and the advancement of legal reform.
>>
> One of the main goal of the pirate party is to open the debate that
> keeps being dodged by officials all over the world by the defendants
> of the outdated copyright model : Now that a million copies of a work
> can be made by a single individual at almost no cost, how is copyright
> relevant ? The only alternative to this debate is to kill the internet
> as we know it.
>
> TPB is a way of making their point. If you can't see past that, read a
> bit more about net neutrality and net censorship. Read a bit more
> technical details about what TPB is now (a search engine), read about
> ACTA, read about the various three-strikes laws proposed in many
> countries...
Exactly. TPB in its current form is a search-engine and link exchange
site. If this is illegal, when will the word "torrent" be banned on
Google? Or China-styled be redirected to a page about the horrors of piracy?

Since TPB lost in local court (will be tested in higher court late this
fall), the copyright lobby has hunted their ISPs in order to make them
responsible for TPB. Piratpartiet is the current ISP of TPB, since the
lobby dares not attack us before the election. Last friday we also
declared that we will use parliamentary immunity to keep the site alive
until the law is changed to make not only search-enignes and
link-exchanges, but also file-sharing in general legal in Sweden.

TPB benefits not only the interested public, but also the numerous
artists (famous and not so famous) that has
 released their works directly on TPB. It also benefits the various
free-speech and anti-surveillance causes that the TPB has promoted.

Regards,
Mårten Fjällström
Party Secretary
Piratpartiet SE