[pp.int.general] ACTA declaration

Fedor Khod'kov fedor76 at istra.ru
Fri Jul 9 08:42:26 CEST 2010

> Every form of property is special. The simple example of property of
> land and its differences compared to property to material goods
> usually gets people thinking;) Actually, if you are aquainted with the
> matter well enough, the use of property analogues can make the
> opponents look pretty stupid (An example of this was when one
> particularly anti-pirate guy told at the opening of a meeting, "OK
> guys, the Pirate Party has decreed that stealing cars is legal, so
> don't wonder where your car is when you leave this assembly" and the
> response was "OK guys, the CSU has decreed that car-sharing is
> illegal, so don't wonder if you get arrested when taking your friend
> in your car").

You have the right to take your friend in your car because it is a
legitimate exercise of your property right.  But the reason why we think
you have right to share (for example) music is not because we think that
file-sharing is legitimate exercise of *your* copyright on somebody
else's music; it's because we think what author's copyright on her music
shouldn't go so far to prevent you from non-commercial sharing.

So. you won't go far with that idea of equalling file-sharing with
car-sharing; only very stupid opponents (or those who don't have enough
time to think his answer) can be defeated by using such rhetorics.
Actually, if the comment about car-sharing was chronologically first,
and comment about legalisation of car-stealing was a response to it,
that anti-pirate guy would win -- in demagogy contest, the winner is the
guy who had the last word.