[pp.int.general] /!\ URGENT /!\ | Help PPNL to win the elections by answering our easy questions !

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Tue Jun 1 20:13:14 CEST 2010

Samir,
	When you say "copyright-protected work should be free for
non-commercial use," I'm unclear as to what you're trying to convey. I
presume you're speaking of noncommercial filesharing? If not, then I
presume that you're saying that the reuse/creation of derivatives of
"copyright-protected" works.
	I will proceed with the latter.
	I am entirely uncertain if the Berne Convention or WIPO have obvious
exclusions about the public domain. I know that it's a pervasive
principle in North America. In fact, it may even behoove you to read
about this principle - namely Lessig's "Free Culture" and Boyle's "The
Public Domain" [guess what the latter is about]. Walt Disney (of the
eponymous corporation) is famous for taking tales from centuries prior
and adapting them (as needed) into children's fairy tales; for instance,
"Alice in Wonderland" obvious a take on Lewis Caroll's "Alice's
Adventures in Wonderland."

	Fair use isn't prevalent across borders, but it may be something you
could research to assist your campaign.

On 05/31/2010 02:26 PM, coretx at piratenpartij.nl wrote:

> Next Thursday we're having a debate versus a "jurist" (in 't engels) about
> why copyright-protected work should be free for non-commercial use. We'll
> be going head to head, and we'll be getting 24-second turns to make 10
> arguments each for why this is.
>
> We figured let's crowdsource this a little. What are the best arguments
> you've heard to prove our point as Pirate Parties about why
> copyright-protected works should be free for non-commercial use?
>
> Help us win our seat in Dutch parliament for the June 9 elections!!
>
> Don't debate, just push your one or two liners !
>
> Cheers,
>
> Samir Allioui ( #1 candidate ) & Bas Grasmaayer ( Communications manager. )

Glenn "Channel6" Kerbein
United States Pirate Party
+1 (707) 636-4198