[pp.int.general] The IIPA Reports

Reinier Bakels rbakels at ffii.org
Tue Mar 2 22:38:30 CET 2010

Please note that the use of the term "ïntellectual property" is not just
lfawed on the philosophical/moral level, but also in a practical sense: it
suggests that *all* intellectual achievements are protected, while actually
there is only a finite number of legal exceptions to the fundamental freedom
of information and ideas.
Some lawyers (especially shady bad faith attorneys who try to make a
business out of this) suggest the existence of "unwritten" rights of
"intellectual property". This is a serious risk, not a nonsensical statement
that can be dismissed as pure propaganda of idiots.
There is an intuitive logic that someone who *devises* something becomes the
propriotor of that idea, just as someone who makes something with his hands
becaomes the owner of it ((only) the latter is a given, at least in
continental EU law based on Roman law).
But anyone who thinks one step further will appreciate that the parallel is
flawed.

reinier