[pp.int.general] Planning of the next PPI conference

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:27:43 CEST 2010

On 5/8/2010 3:18 PM, Joonas Mäkinen wrote:
> Yes, we did. But there hasn't been a general rule yet, as they haven't
> been organised that much. :)

It was a general rule as far as I'm aware. When I had to find a location
for the 4th conference  last January, when the Russian party disappeared
(it was supposed to be in St Petersburg) the German party offered
Berlin, And the swedes offered Stockholm. That upset some as it was
giving certain parties extra 'influence' in some ways. It may not have
the 'status' of the PPI statutes, but unlike them, this 'rule' has been
widely known for some considerable time (at least, to anyone that's
cared to talk about this in the past)

> If from Europe, then maybe the Swiss, if they have elections. If
> outside, then... suggestions?

I believe I suggested Canada already (look down 28 lines). Elections
really have no part the location decision, because PPI is not running
for election. What it is trying to do is form a cohesive unit of
communication and cooperation between international parties. By
constantly holding the conferences in Europe, it's giving the finger to
the parties elsewhere, and should therefore be named 'Pirate Parties
Europe' not International.

Andrew

> 2010/5/8 Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com <mailto:ktetch at gmail.com>>
>
> On 5/8/2010 12:46 PM, Joonas Mäkinen wrote:
>> I don't think it would be too early to have a general assembly less
>> than a year from the founding meeting. I would in fact go and suggest
>> Finland and around March for a meeting. I'll ask the boars, though,
>> and it would be nice to check out all the countries where pirates
>> could strike through that spring. :)
>
> Didn't Finland host it last Jan? Pretty sure they did. The general rule
> has been to host it in a diffrent country each time.
>
> I believe as well, one of the things that came out of the comments ont
> he last conference, was that it should be held OUTSIDE Europe this time.
> So far, all 5 have been there (Vienna, Berlin, Uppsala, Helsinki and
> Brussels) and while that's great for Pirate Party Europe, it's not so
> good for Pirate Party *International*
>
> Canada might be the best bet.
>

>> 2010/5/8, Maxime Rouquet <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
> <mailto:maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org>>:
>>> Hello Jerry,
>>> Could you please add me to the PPI conference mailing-list ?
>>> Thank you by advance,
>>> Maxime

> <http://pp-international.net> *Just drop a

> wiki page

> sign up

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net
<mailto:pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net>