[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:01:40 CEST 2010

On 13.05.2010 21:51, Radosław Nadstawny wrote:
> Who is "the user"?
The user is the guy who doesn't know a CPU from a motherboard and just
wants to have their computer up and running.

>> Like many other idealists you struggle for someone other's needs
>> which you define in a way that suits you. The user wants
>> functionality, not "autonomy" in the way you state it.
>>

> Look at yourself. It is you who defines others' needs in a way that
> suits you.

I don't define anyone's needs - I just don't want others to do it for
me. When you say "the freedom to modify a program is an essential
freedom [for everybody]", you define others' needs; when I say "the
freedom to modify a program menas shit to a great lot of people", I
don't define anything, I just negate your statement.

>>> What are your personal goals?
>>>
>> My goal (for the matter at hand) is for the Pirates Parties not to
>> become the political arm of Mr. Stallman's obscure philosophical
>> ideas.
>>
> Do you feel threatened?

Yes, because many people consider adjoining the FSF's ideas an important
goal, often to the detriment of original Pirate goals (see the
discussion on copyright duration).

Best regards,
Boris