[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri May 14 23:03:28 CEST 2010

At the purely ethical level, either you have the freedom to change it,
or it subjugates you.  Whether you know how to program is an
insignificant detail.

If we start considering practicalities such as the difficulty of
learning to program, we must also consider practicalities such
as the possibility someone else will do it for you.

You are trying to have it both ways -- to consider practical
factors when they favor your position and ignore them when they don't.

At the ethical level, freedom is everyone's right.  At the practical
level, freedom enables us to do what we wish.  Free software is right
at both levels.