[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 17 20:33:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I don't think the Pirate Parties have endorsed the free software
> movement's position that all software ought to be free.  And I am not
> asking them to go that far (though I would not reject their support).
>
> Someone began attacking the free software movement here, so I responded
> to defend it from those attacks.
>
> The free software movement does not propose to prohibit proprietary
> software, at least not under present conditions where many people want
> to use it.  I would like to see a world without proprietary software,
> but laws prohibiting something that many people want tend to cause a lot
> of pain and resistance.

I agree.

As a side note, I believe copyright should only be available for
software that has been published with source code. If the purpose of
copyrights is, as with patents, to give incentives to produce things -
to enrich public domain, then no legal protection should be given to
closed source software.

--
Mikko Särelä
"It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a