[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 17 22:23:41 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Yves Quemener wrote:
> Mikko Särelä wrote:
> > I agree.
> >
> > As a side note, I believe copyright should only be available for
> > software that has been published with source code. If the purpose of
> > copyrights is, as with patents, to give incentives to produce things -
> > to enrich public domain, then no legal protection should be given to
> > closed source software.
> >
> An interesting and intriguing idea. But I am not sure about what you
> propose. I see two interpretations :
>
> - That copyright should not apply to binaries but that one could publish
> source code, copyright it, and restrict the rights to copy and
> distribute it without paying him (the only difference with today's
> situation would be that we can see the source code but not reuse it)
>
> - That non-free licenses should not be enforceable.

I believe the first one of the above should be the minimum - combined with
5-10 year copyright. Hence, the work would be released to the public.
Nowadays, closed source vendors get all the benefits and the public gets
none.

--
Mikko Särelä
"It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a